Tom Hanks is an American actor and filmmaker. Known for both his comedic and dramatic roles, he is one of the most popular and recognizable film stars worldwide, and is regarded as an American cultural icon. Hanks’ films have grossed more than $4.9 billion in North America and more than $9.96 billion worldwide, making him the fourth-highest-grossing actor in North America.
Hanks was born in Concord, California, on July 9, 1956. He began his acting career in the early 1980s, appearing in minor roles in television shows and films. His breakthrough role came in 1984 with the comedy film Splash. He followed this up with a string of successful comedies, including The Money Pit (1986), Big (1988), and A League of Their Own (1992).
Table of Contents
Tom Hanks Net Worth
Tom Hanks has an estimated net worth of $400 million as of 2023, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He is one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood, and his films have grossed over $9.96 billion worldwide.
Some of his highest-paying films include:
- Forrest Gump (1994): $60 million
- Saving Private Ryan (1998): $40 million
- Toy Story 2 (1999): $25 million
- Cast Away (2000): $20 million
- The Da Vinci Code (2006): $50 million
- Captain Phillips (2013): $50 million
- Toy Story 4 (2019): $50 million
Hanks has earned his fortune from a successful career in film and television. He has starred in some of the highest-grossing films of all time, including Forrest Gump, Toy Story, and Saving Private Ryan. He has also won two Academy Awards for Best Actor, for his performances in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump.
In addition to his acting career, Hanks is also a successful producer and director. He has produced several of his own films, including That Thing You Do! and Band of Brothers. He also made his directorial debut with That Thing You Do!.
Hanks is also a philanthropist. He has donated money to a number of charities, including the American Red Cross and the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. He is also a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.
Related: Morgan Freeman Net Worth
Real Estate Holdings
Tom Hanks has a significant real estate portfolio, valued at around $150 million. He owns properties in California, New York, Hawaii, and a private island in the Bahamas.
- Pacific Palisades mansion: $28 million
- Malibu beach house: $10 million
- Santa Monica townhouse: $5 million
- Tribeca penthouse: $20 million
- Kauai vacation home: $20 million
- Private island: $10 million
Hanks’ Pacific Palisades mansion is his primary residence. It is a 14,513-square-foot home with 6 bedrooms, 9 bathrooms, and a stunning view of the Pacific Ocean.
The Malibu beach house is a more modest property, but it is still quite luxurious. It has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and direct access to the beach.
The Santa Monica townhouse is a good option for Hanks when he needs to be in Los Angeles for work. It has 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and a rooftop terrace with views of the city.
Hanks’ Tribeca penthouse is a spacious and modern home. It has 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and a private terrace with views of the city skyline.
The Kauai vacation home is a perfect place for Hanks to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of Hollywood. It has 5 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, and a private beach.
Hanks’ private island in the Bahamas is the ultimate luxury property. It has a 10,000-square-foot main house, a guest house, a swimming pool, and a tennis court. The island is also surrounded by white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters.
Related: Brad Pitt Net Worth
Tom Hanks’ parents were Janet Marylyn (née Frager) Hanks and Amos Mefford Hanks.
His mother was from a Portuguese family, while his father had English ancestry. His parents divorced in 1960, when Tom was four years old.
Hanks’ mother was a hospital worker, and his father was an itinerant cook. Hanks has said that he had a “fractured” childhood, as he and his siblings moved around a great deal after their parents’ divorce. He lived with a succession of step-families, but he has said that he was always close to his mother.
Hanks has also said that his parents were very supportive of his acting career. He began acting in high school, and his parents would often drive him to auditions and rehearsals. Hanks has said that he is very grateful for his parents’ support, and that he believes he would not have been able to achieve his success without them.
Hanks’ mother passed away in 2016, and his father passed away in 1992.
Related: Tom Cruise Net Worth
Sister & Brothers
Tom Hanks has three siblings: an older sister, Sandra Hanks Benoiton, and two older brothers, Jim Hanks and Larry Hanks.
- Sandra Hanks Benoiton is a writer and producer. She has written several children’s books, as well as the screenplay for the 2013 film “Lucky Guy.”
- Jim Hanks is an actor and filmmaker. He has appeared in several films and television shows, including “Forrest Gump,” “Toy Story 2,” and “Saving Private Ryan.” He has also directed and produced several films.
- Larry Hanks is an entomology professor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. He is a world-renowned expert on ants.
Hanks is close to all of his siblings, and they have often supported each other’s careers. For example, Jim Hanks served as Tom’s body double in “Forrest Gump,” and he has also voiced the character of Sheriff Woody in various “Toy Story” merchandise.
Related: Leonardo DiCaprio Net Worth
Tom Hanks is married to actress Rita Wilson. They met on the set of the 1981 television series “Bosom Buddies” and were married in 1988.
Wilson is a successful actress in her own right. She has starred in films such as “Sleepless in Seattle,” “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” and “Mamma Mia!” She is also a singer and songwriter.
Related: Chris Evans Net Worth
Tom Hanks has four Children:
- Colin Hanks (born 1977) is an actor. He has starred in the films Orange County (2002), King Kong (2005), and The House Bunny (2008). He has also appeared in several television shows, including Mad Men (2007–2015) and Fargo (2014–2015).
- Elizabeth Hanks (born 1982) is a writer and producer. She has written the films Larry Crowne (2011) and The Circle (2017). She has also produced the films Lucky (2017) and The Offer (2022).
- Chet Hanks (born 1990) is an actor and rapper. He has starred in the films Larry Crowne (2011) and Empire State (2013). He has also released the rap albums Chet Haze (2011) and Expelliarmus (2015).
- Truman Hanks (born 1995) is an actor. He has appeared in the films Captain Phillips (2013) and Greyhound (2020). He has also appeared in the television series The Good Doctor (2017–present).
All four of Hanks’ kids were born from his marriage to actress Rita Wilson.
Related: Daniel Radcliffe Net Worth
How old was tom hanks in forrest gump?
Tom Hanks was 37 years old when he played Forrest Gump in the 1994 film.
Who is tom hanks married to?
Tom Hanks is married to actress Rita Wilson. They met on the set of the 1981 television series “Bosom Buddies” and were married in 1988. They have four children together: Colin Hanks, Elizabeth Hanks, Chet Hanks, and Truman Hanks.
How much is tom hanks worth?
Tom Hanks has an estimated net worth of $400 million as of 2023. He is one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood.